How is the Rockford school district?

A place to discuss issues relating to the Rockford School District, which serves the majority of Greenfield.

How is the Rockford school district?

Postby dotnetchimp » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Where do most people send their kids who live in Greenfield? Looking at the area for potential move.
dotnetchimp

Re: How is the Rockford school district?

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:51 am

Depending on where you live in the city, there are 3 school districts represented: Rockford, Delano, and Buffalo. Many people in my neighborhood, despite being zoned for Rockford, actually send their kids to Delano. They indicate it is a much better school system with less problems undiciplined kids.
Joe

Postby Shorty1182 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Very good to know. We just moved to Greenfield, and we have a 5 1/2 month old. We have quite a few years to go before we send him off to school, but it's something to think about now and start getting ideas of where the better schools are. Thanks so much. It's too bad Rockford is not that great of a school--it's so close to home!!!
Shorty1182

Postby fuzz on the kiwi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:45 pm

I disagree, the Rockford Schools are wonderful. Buffalo is a hike from where you live and Delano is having a lot of issues with overcrowding and referendum issues. Rockford just had a close vote too, but we have hope for our Rockets.
fuzz on the kiwi

Postby DJ1972 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:33 am

I agree with "fuzz on the kiwi" I normally would not get involved in political issues or votes one way or another but I just can't hold my breath on this one, sorry. As a local resident and Realtor myself who does a lot of business in Rockford I get to see a lot of people move in and move out. I also get to hear alot of reasons for moving in and moving out which are typically the same for any area, relocation for job, closer to work, retirement, etc.

The schools are not being represented correctly here in my opinion. I feel the schools and Rockford as a community sometimes get a bad wrap with no real support to the "complaints" other than unsupported gossip. First off Rockford is a great town with some of the strongest community passion and devotion I've ever seen, you have residents who help with community events, city events, fundraising and support for their neighbors which also pours into the support for the schools. Now I am not going to post about how the last item did or did not pass but I can not stress enough that the schools, staff, buildings and supporters are not bad or below par in any way. I do often find it amazing how people tend to form opinions about things based on hearsay and gossip that may not hold any weight.

To answer the original question here, Rockford schools are full of passionate teachers and staff, many I know personally and have had the privilege to work with in either real estate or some sort of fundraiser - they truly care about the schools, the kids and the area. Secondly you should really tour the schools themselves, they are wonderful facilities with many programs that many people don't even seem to be aware of. I have toured the schools twice now over the years and some of the things I hear from others are simply not true. Knowing many people who go to the schools in Rockford as well as many who have graduated from the schools the feedback I hear is virtually all positive. My family has kids in the schools and have zero complaints and in fact my brother currently drives his kids from another city to Rockford every day!

If you truly want to know the truth on how much the Rockford schools have to offer please don't read into
any hearsay or gossip, visit the schools, meet the staff and see the wonderful programs they have to offer
and I promise you that you will leave with a positive feeling and different attitude about them then this
thread has been providing. Rockford is a STRONG district.

The community is very supportive and as we grow and more businesses come in it will only get better and better. If you're moving here you should know the truth about the schools, seriously, call the school and take the tour. Sorry if I ran on a bit but the "Rockford Schools" are bad topic is getting old and simply not true. I know for a fact the school staff would love to show you around and address any questions with facts so you can decide for yourself. Thanks for listening....Derrick

School link for more...http://www.rockford.k12.mn.us/
DJ1972

Postby jewels » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:42 pm

I too think the Rockford School District is fantastic. To be honest, when we moved here we bought into the gossip hounds bad juju. They talked about this and that being bad-new school blah blah, not fiscally responsible blah blah blah blah....Here is the key- WE CHECKED INTO IT OURSELVES! The school district has won AWARDS for their financial management and our new superintendent has made miracles with the little he has had to work with. We have 4 kids in 2 of the schools and could NOT BE HAPPIER. This town has a very close knit group of caring, friendly, forward thinking people. If you can align yourselves with them and be involved, you too will feel truly blessed! We couldn't be happier.
jewels

Postby wastingmoney » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:27 am

4 kids in 2 schools huh ... they wouldn't be part of the Cousin's now would they?

Of course you would be in favor of everyone else spending all this money on your kids.
Don't suppose you live in one of those houses that would have gotten a $600/year increase from this.
wastingmoney

Postby Shorty1182 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you so much for all the different responses! I am very happy to hear that Rockford's rep is more rumor/gossip than anything else. I come from Indiana, where my high school had a horrible rep, and it simply wasn't true. It was frustrating how people would put the school down! I know so many grads from that high school that have gone on and become doctors, physicists, an astronaut, fabulous teachers, etc. I will definitely do my own research as my son gets older and closer to school age.

Onto another note about Rockford in general, I am very excited with the "clean up" that seems to be happening around the area. Rockford could be such an amazing little town. It has so much gorgeous riverfront! I hope more restaurants and businesses come into the area! Rockford has so much to offer, and it's just a shame that it's not being used to its fullest potential! Restaurants overlooking the river, a few more shops that aren't thrift shops, a grocery store...maybe someday!
Shorty1182

Postby yesyes » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:35 am

haha- the "cousins" don't have computers! The folks the above are discussing are a religious group that seems to have a more negative impact on the community than a positive one.....they have been compared to a "cult" and interestingly enough are most of the trouble makers in the schools! Perhaps they can take their no votes on bond issues and start their OWN school! BUH BYE! Despite the negative people and the old guard...this town will triumph and the good will win out eventually! Karma! :3some
yesyes

Postby wastingmoney » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:37 am

You're partially right yesyes .... The cousins ARE the cult of which you speak, and are the trouble makers in this town. They DO in fact have computers (a quick facebook search will show you all of them)

They are not however the only ones voting no. There are a lot of people that don't like the fact that this school district bends over backwards for these same people causing all the problems. You even have one of them on the school board. They don't pay anywhere NEAR their share in taxes (10+ kids in a small house vs. no kids in large houses - guess who's paying for it all!)

Maybe if there was some control of these monsters in the schools they wouldn't be reaking havoc in the neighborhoods too. Oh .. forgot, this school district has nothing to do with dicipline, or just about anything other than sports. :bang :bang :bang

Maybe it will get better with all the people associated with the sports "non-profits" running for school board positions. We'll see nothing but continuous referrendum requests for more gold paved facilities and astroturf. Then they'll cry and pay for more telephone surveys when it keeps failing. Way to use our money responsibly. THAT is why you can't win a vote (without your attempts at cheating of couse)
wastingmoney

Next

Return to Rockford School District