Here comes ANOTHER referrendum

A place to discuss issues relating to the Rockford School District, which serves the majority of Greenfield.

Here comes ANOTHER referrendum

Postby Administrator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:56 am

It was announced today that the Rockford School District is moving ahead with another Referrendum. They will be asking for $28 MILLION.

In a move that seemed to work well for them last time, they are having the vote in the middle of February, when many of the snow-birds will not be around to vote. They are also only going to have a single polling place, forcing people from all of the cities they serve to drive to a single location.

Anyone want to guess how much of an increase to your tax bill this will cause?!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Here comes ANOTHER referrendum

Postby carol beasecker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:29 am

Does anyone know how long this referrendum will run? 5 or 10 years or whatever time? :o How many do we presently have in place.? Believe that the one on the elementary school has a couple of years left, am I right?
Exactly what is this one for? Another way for district to pay their part on the "Varsity ball park"? Or another improve like they spent money on redoing the ground outside of the district office- how does this help educate our children? Let's get down to the basics of education and not all the extras, how about a salary freeze for all that are employeed by our school district for one or two years like so many other places are doing?. :bang

Maybe we should have the school district do like they apparently do in Rochester, MN charge $800. to bus two children from and to school. Maybe they should charge the teachers for parking like they do the kids that drive to school.

The school needs to set a budget and live with it like we do at our households.
carol beasecker

Postby Administrator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:11 pm

For anyone that may have been confused by the inaccurate information on when the referrendum would be held (based on the report from the school district that it would be held on "Tuesday Feb 12th", which is actually a Sunday - it is actually on the 21st. Here is the ballot!

Still VERY vague on what it covers - seems like they can build anything they want with over $28 MILLION!

Ballot_022112.jpg
Sample Ballot
Ballot_022112.jpg (174.95 KiB) Viewed 11026 times
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby carol beasecker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:09 pm

okay I know it is MEA week and school is not in session however in checking with the district office any questions need to be answered by the school superindent so I went to district office on thurs and was told he was in a conference and I could make an appointment so then I tried to call fri @ 1;30 and was told he was not in and had left for the week and I could leave a message on his voice mail.

Is our school district now teaching a class to our students on how to dodge their tax payers OR whatever they want to call the general public? :bang

I have started a list of questions which follows:
what is the date Feb 12 or 21st? If it is the 21st- that is the date for a city council meeting
what is the breakdown for all of these things they want to do- by $'s, importancy and what year it needs to be done by- how many quotes did they get or is this just a guess for what they need.
how many years is this to run?
why are we doing this in feb and not waiting till next Nov( are they scared more people will come out to vote NO) It is definitely cheaper to attach this to the Nov election. I know if you have a special election it would cost anywhere from $6K on up to over $8k. So is this a way to spend more of our money, we sure are not teaching the children how to BUDGET

Ask yourself how many of our children know what a budget is and how to do one?. Appparently the school does not have a GOOD handle on one. :roll:

Right now we don't have much to be happy about EXCEPT we have our troops coming home from Iraq before Christmas - that is enough to make our day.

Like I have said before everyone needs to take control of their finances. How can we expect people to vote on this and not know whether or not they will have a paycheck. There are HOW MANY HOUSES in this school district that are not paying anything in whether it is tax defered or foreclosure on homes? So who pays that part? Is it just the few of us that are keeping current with our bills?

next school board meeting date is not available by calling district office, all you get is voice mail

thanks for listening

Carol
carol beasecker

Postby carol beasecker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Just went out and googled Paul Durand mn and went to Winona paper, which is the district he came from.
Intresting reading when you read 'Superintendent Finalist left Community divided" Kinda long but intresting if you want to read up on our superintendent.
carol beasecker

Postby carol beasecker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:56 am

Looking at school website- the school board calendar and it shows that there is only one scheduled meeting for November that is November22 @ 6;30 in their chambers @ middle school. Two meetings in December
the 5th is a work shop
the 19th is a regular meeting

If anyone is intrested to attend- maybe they will be forced to answer questions if we show up, being that there is only one person with the answers and it seems he is available to the public(THE TAXPAYERS)
carol beasecker

Return to Rockford School District