Facebook Whiners

A place to discuss issues relating to the Rockford School District, which serves the majority of Greenfield.

Re: Facebook Whiners

Postby Get Real » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm

I think the case can be made that the school board and Superintendent are the ones who did the disservice for the "kids". Had they been reasonable in their bond request, they would have been successful. Since they so arrogantly went for such an expensive and outrageous bond, now the kids will suffer by not receiving the repairs that the schools actually needed. Rockford Schools clearly has a leadership problem. Next time, I would suggest that the School Board and Superintendent be forthright and honest about the election (like having it at a general election instead of the middle of winter where they hoped for low voter turnout), honestly stating the true amount that it will cost the taxpayers (they only disclosed year 2013), and building a consensus in the community for the absolutely necessary repairs.

It is very interesting to see the rabid nature of the vote yes people all the while they try to vilify anyone who voted no.

You deserved to have this bond fail. You have no one to blame but yourselves (and of course your school board and Superintendent).
Get Real

Postby nikidog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:28 am

In response to Jewels: I have educated myself. My post in this forum “Why I Voted No” makes it clear why I opposed the bond referendum. The website links on the school’s performance, particular in comparison with nearby school districts is not “skewed evidence,” even though it doesn’t bode well for Rockford Schools. According to my research, Delano, Wayzata, and Buffalo all outrank Rockford Schools. http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MN/districtrank.aspx. You will have to type in Rockford and other school districts like Wayzata to view their rankings.

You’re not the only one who cares about the community or volunteers. I volunteer at several organizations including Riverworks and the Hennepin County Library among other organizations. I have worked with children and teens with disabilities in therapeutic horseback riding as well as with homeless women and their children. Just because I don’t support THIS school district, doesn’t mean I don’t support the community.

And, I, nerd that I am, would attend a “debate contest” or “math club.” While my high school poetry club didn’t elicit the big bucks from taxpayers or attract parents, I valued it. And academics are what sold my parents on the school district I did attend. Nothing like slamming the academics to win a few points.

Sports won’t draw people like me into the district. Strong academics will. While I don’t oppose sports, the main purpose of a school is to educate students in reading, writing, math, science, social studies, and the like. If you don’t have that foundation, all the sports in the world won’t make up for it. Though I am not a parent, if and when I am, my kids will be going to another district like Delano.

As for your comment “Why don’t you take your beef to the legislature,” I thought that the purpose of voting whether or not to pass the bond referendum was my right as a citizen of a democratic society. I don’t need to go the legislature to “take my beef” because I get to “legislate” my viewpoint by voting. Unless of course only people who support the referendum have the right to vote. In which case, there’s a bigger problem with the democratic process in the Rockford School District than I realized.

As for calling this forum a “bully club,” I think threatening a local business owner to remove her political sign that opposes the referendum to by a form of bullying. Spray painting these “vote no” signs on two occasions is another example of bullying. Telling someone to “move to another community” because they disagree with your opinion also smacks of bullying.
nikidog

Postby nikidog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm

To Kelly Vanderlinde Grimm’s Facebook comment:

Nice ad hominem attacks. You state that we are “morons controlling the majority vote.” I don’t know if you are calling the controlling or the controlled morons, but it doesn’t really matter. I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself, constructing my own arguments, and making my own decisions, thank you very much. No one “controlled” my vote. Nor did I vote “no” because someone told me to. The school district and my own research gave me all the reasons I needed to vote “no.”

I am surprised you think $28 million is a “blown out big number.” I don’t know about “blown out,” but, in my experience, that amount is no chunk change.

As to your parodying voters who “need more information,” I am a bit confused. I thought making an INFORMED decision was a good thing. Unless of course the information doesn’t support your side.

Consistent information would also be nice. As well as answers to questions like:

-How is it possible that no one in the school district notice that the middle school gym floor was buckling, that water was leaking into the gym, or that there was mold growing that could be hazardous to students’ and staffs’ health before this bond referendum was proposed?
-Why would the district allow students to attend school in a possibly hazardous environment?
-Have these buildings been properly maintained?
-Why is a relatively new REAMS elementary school (10-12 years old, I believe) already showing a crack around the expansion joint? Is that a structural issue? A sign of shoddy initial construction? A sign of poor maintenance?
-Why do we have to have synthetic turf? How do you justify the costs and short lifespan of it? Why couldn’t the kids “be proud of” a natural grass stadium?
nikidog

Postby RockfordGuy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:12 pm

I hope when your property values drop even more than they already have, that you remember that people look at school districts as part of their purchase. When or if the middle school closes, and they pack all the kids into kind-6th grade and 7th to 12th grade, that will drastically reduce both the value of your home and the education of the kids. My kids will be out on 6 years so it will only be my problem for a little longer.
RockfordGuy

Postby fuzz on the kiwi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 am

Wow, I hadn't checked in for a while. I realize facebook is a public/social group but posting their faces and names behind a screen name seems outside the boundaries of good taste. It really makes me wonder who is whining more...
fuzz on the kiwi

Postby Administrator » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Fuzz,

The postings that were made were screen shots from the public pages of facebook. These were things that were open to the general public. I would suggest if they didn't want them to be public, they shouldn't have posted them.

It is interesting to see their feelings against those who don't agree with them.

Admin
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby RockfordGuy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Administrator- I think you are being dishonest about the origin of the facebook postings. It was not from a "public" facebook account. It was taken from a person who has private settings on. It is too bad that one of her "friends" is a piece of crap who used her to ridicule others. Maybe they thought by not having her on the screenshot it wouldn't be so bad, but it really makes them look bad for doing it. If a "friend" of mine did this, they would be getting a visit.
RockfordGuy

Postby Administrator » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:19 pm

RockfordGuy wrote:Administrator- I think you are being dishonest about the origin of the facebook postings. It was not from a "public" facebook account. It was taken from a person who has private settings on. It is too bad that one of her "friends" is a piece of crap who used her to ridicule others. Maybe they thought by not having her on the screenshot it wouldn't be so bad, but it really makes them look bad for doing it. If a "friend" of mine did this, they would be getting a visit.

First of all, I am not sure what you think my role in this is, and how I am being dishonest. I did not post these screenshots.

However ..... looking at the public event from my account (which I am not friends of any of these people), shows me the same posts, so they are NOT private. If you look at the public event they created called "Vote Yes for District 883 Capital Bond" at http://www.facebook.com/events/190756467692405/, you will see many of these comments. This is a public posted event. If you then click on the names of the people posting the comments, you will see none of their pages are private.

I believe you are in error in your accusations, both towards their "friends" and towards me. I do not doubt that these people may have friends that are "pieces of crap", but I don't see that anything here was done wrong (beyond the people that made the initial postings to facebook themselves).
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby RockfordGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:12 pm

"It is interesting to see their feelings against those who don't agree with them."
It sure is. I am learning alot about the people of Greenfield on this forum.
RockfordGuy

Postby nikidog » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Fuzz,
You may think posting these Facebook comments "outside the boundaries of good taste." If you didn't want these comments made public, then why did you make them public in the first place? The people of this group chose to make this Facebook group and their own Facebook pages available to the public.

You say that “it was not from a "public" facebook account. It was taken from a person who has private settings on. It is too bad that one of her ‘friends’ is a piece of crap who used her to ridicule others.” While I can’t speak to this ‘friend’ posting another person’s private settings, I do know that the group page was NOT on a private setting and that many of these individuals’ posts are NOT on private settings. I don’t understand why you are blaming this GreenfieldMN site for publicly posting what the posters themselves already publicly posted.

As for being “outside the boundaries of good taste,” perhaps these Facebook posters want their comments removed from this site because their own comments were “outside the boundaries of good taste.”

A sample of some comments in poor taste:
-“eliminate the Greenfield problem”
-Referring to the Vote NO’s as “haters,” “morons,” and “ignorant”
-“I feel very sad for the community when folks like the vote NO’s are out there.” (Yes, like the truth, we are “out here.” I especially love the oozing condescension of this particular comment).
-Referring to the Vote Yes people as “forward thinkers.” (I guess that implies that you believe us Vote No people are backwards. I have a forward-thinking idea. Let’s fund academics for our students instead of prioritizing sports. A school actually investing in educating its students? What a backwards, in-the-box, old-fashioned notion).
-“I encourage you to move to another community to set up a bully club.” (It seems like this community already has a bully club. One that tells any dissenters to fall in line or get out. Apparently, disagreement of opinion is just not allowed in this community.)
-“I want to use some fear tactics.” (See bully comment above).

Fuzz, you yourself seem to have no problem calling someone a “piece of crap” on an online forum or even threatening this unknown “piece of crap” publicly. You warned that “If a ‘friend’ of mine did this, they would be getting a visit.” Glad that I am not a “friend” of yours. I sure don’t like being threatened.

Gee, you’ve not only crossed the “boundaries of good taste” with your public name-calling, but you’ve actually used threats and intimidation. You’ve gone from merely offensive to actually harmful. From plain old epithets and insults to actual verbal bullying. But I guess that’s just keeping in step with Vote Yes “fear tactics.”

And if these Facebook posters didn’t want other people to know what they really think about them, their city, or their opinions, then perhaps they shouldn’t have made these comments in the first place. Otherwise, they should have the courage to acknowledge and stand by what they said.
nikidog

PreviousNext

Return to Rockford School District