Why I voted NO

A place to discuss issues relating to the Rockford School District, which serves the majority of Greenfield.

Why I voted NO

Postby nikidog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:17 am

As a Greenfield resident who voted “no” on the recent bond election question, I am a bit put off by some of the posted Facebook comments. I did not vote “no” because of our “mismanaged” city. While our city has earned notoriety with underhanded and corrupt city council members of numerous city councils, that has nothing to do with my voting decision. If, for example, Madame Jill Krout were running the school district, there might be an argument. But such is thankfully not the case.

As for the City of Rockford, I have no anger or problems. Since our own city has so few businesses, it is nice to be able to frequent relatively local ones on the other side of the river. I am grateful for the fire service the City of Rockford provides. I also appreciate the Rockford Historical Society, the Stork House, Riverworks/Rockford Food Shelf, Rockford Library, and Riverside Park.

No my problem is not with either city. Nor did I vote because I was “taking it out on the kids” of the district.

I am a Dem, and as such, typically support public education. I would normally willingly pay increased taxes for teacher development, curriculum development, and the like. I recognize the value of a well-rounded education, especially in a democratic society.

It felt a bit odd to be “on the other side” with regards to the Rockford School District. However, I typically do not support the Rockford School District. The District has been “mismanaged” for as long as I’ve lived in Greenfield. Paying administrators while cutting full-time teaching positions is does not earn my vote. As greenfarce notes, a part of Durand’s salary, heck, even his financial perks would probably be better spent hiring another teacher or at least furthering the development and training of current teachers.
Superintendent Durand also seems to have a history of fighting with the teacher’s union while he was superintendent of the Winona Public Schools. The Winona teacher’s union had many “complaints” against him, including the fact that he ignored the “union’s survey” of his performance. See Cynthia Porter’s Winona Post article at http://www.winonapost.com/stock/functions/VDG_Pub/detail.php?choice=24078&home_page=&archives=1

Paul Sloth’s JournalTimes article “Superintendent Finalist Left Community Divided” suggests that the Winona school board voted against renewing his contract as the District superintendent because, among other reasons, he “lacked support from teachers and principals” in the District. See http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_b643e4b0-56a7-11df-b32a-001cc4c002e0.html

Brit Johnsen’s Winona Daily News article “Tension in the Schools: Fear and Teaching in Winona” is most telling as to why the teachers and principals did not support him. He fostered a “climate of fear” in the District and was “inconsistent in his communication” with District staff. See http://www.powmadeak47.com/n6c/6corr1231wdnschfears.html

While I know some out there vehemently oppose teachers’ unions, I don’t understand the latest political vitriol against apparently “overpaid” teachers. I would like to know where all of these “rich” teachers work. My guess is that they work on Mars.

Evidently, Durand has a history of “mismanagement.” Johnsen’s survey of “60 people connected with the [Winona] School District” while Durand was superintendent there states that he “made statements he later denied” and his “management style” as “deceptive and manipulative.” See the above link.

Sorry, but I don’t want to financially support a school district with that kind of a leader. Nor will I support one that works against instead of with and for the teachers.

Aside from these issues, Rockford School District, seems to be doing poorly. I know that Rockford Arts Elementary Magnet School has failed to make Annual Yearly Progress (AYP), which is based on testing score in reading and mathematics on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment II (MCA-II). This No Child Left Behind (NCLB)measure also takes into account the number of students tested, graduation rates, and attendance rates. NCLB divides students into subgroups for testing based on ethnicity, free or reduced lunch status, English Language Learners, and special education needs. See http://extra.twincities.com/CAR/schools/byschool.asp

Specifically, Rockford Arts Elementary Magnet School was deemed “Not making AYP-Supplemental Services” for the 2010-2011 school year. This “Supplemental Services” status means this is the third school year in a row that the school has failed to make AYP. As a result the District must develop a “school improvement plan” for the elementary school and offer “additional support” to struggling students such as after-school tutoring and/or “staff development.” See above links. During the 2010-2011 school year, REAMS did not make AYP in “Reading Proficiency: Special Education.” For the 2009-2010 school year, Reams did not make AYP in “Reading Proficiency: Free/Reduced Lunch.” Finally, during the 2008-20009 school year, Reams did not make AYP in “Reading Proficiency: Special Education
For School District AYP scores see http://extra.twincities.com/CAR/schools/schooldata.asp?SchoolID=088301002

While I’m not a big fan of NCLB, it is telling that the needs of the students facing the most barriers (low income students and special needs students) are not being met by the District.

More than AYP scores, however, the Rockford School District ranks lower on [url]SchoolDigger.com[/url]rankings of Minnesota school districts than surrounding school districts. This ranking is based on the most recent test scores in mathematics and reading provided by statistics from the National Center for Education, the U.S. Department of Education, and the Minnesota Department of Education. The district is ranked by averaging the rank percentiles of each school in the district. For ranking questions see http://www.schooldigger.com/aboutranking.aspx

The “Rank of 417 Minnesota School Districts” is listed from first to last (417th) at http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MN/districtrank.aspx. You can even search for individual districts by typing in the district name.

Here are area school districts in order from highest to lowest:
#3. Westonka Public School District (Score 0.980 out of 1.00)
# 7 Minnetonka Public School District (Score 0.943)
# 9 Orono Public School District (Score 0.935)
# 10 Delano Public School District (Score 0.933)
# 12 Wayzata Public School District (Score 0.926)
#21 Waconia Public School District ( Score 0.885)
# 50 Watertown-Mayer Public School District ( Score 0.791)
#51 St. Michael-Albertville Public School District (Score 0.790)
#71 Monticello Public School District (Score 0.759)
#129 Mounds View Public School (Score 0.663)
#130 Buffalo Public School District (Score 0.660)
# 131 Rockford Public School District (Score 0.660)

Well, that at least explains why many of my neighbors send their kids to Delano or Orono. That and reported bullying. There are so many other, evidently better, options. I’d rather support one of those districts.

Finally, I would have supported paying for repairs of buckling gym floors, mold and water damage, plumbing repairs, and upgraded alarm systems. These are necessities. I will not support a synthetic turf stadium, paved trails to connect fields, or $70,000 for a sidewalk/pavilion. The school district needs to fix its academics before investing in sports.

Seeing the cowardly tactics used by the bond supporters only further swayed me to vote against the bond. Threatening to boycott a local business owner unless she removes a “vote-yes” sign from her property and spray painting opposing election signs, not once, but twice, further repels me from supporting the bond. These snarky Facebook comments only hurt the District’s image.
nikidog

Return to Rockford School District